Ride the Bus
How to Ride the Bus
- Arrive at the bus stop at least 5 minutes early.
- As the bus approaches, check the sign above the front window (the destination sign) to make sure it is the correct bus. This sign should show the bus route number and destination (for example, 11: Kingston Pike).
- Signal the operator by raising or waving your hand to ensure he/she sees you and know you want to board. Be sure to stand a safe distance back from the curb until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Be ready to pay your fare as soon as you board. If paying with cash, exact change is not required - you will be issued a
changecard to use on another bus trip. To learn about different pass options, visit our Fares section.
- When you want to get off the bus, use either the pull cord or the rubber strips around the windows to signal to the operator.
- When the bus comes to a complete stop, make sure you have all your personal items, and exit the bus through the rear door. Wait on the curb until the bus leaves before crossing the street.
- If you need extra help reading a route schedule or planning your next transit trip, we are happy to provide you with FREE travel training.
- Travel training is on the 3rd Tuesday of each month and is open to everyone. It is held in the Knoxville Station Community Room from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m. and again from 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Please RSVP by sending an email to email@example.com
with your full name, the date and time you plan to attend.
- If you would like to schedule a group travel training class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 865-637-3000.
When making a request, please thoroughly describe what is needed in order for you to use the service, and why this assistance is necessary. KAT will assess the request and make every effort to ensure that everyone can ride.
Download our How to Ride the Bus brochure here.
Descargue la versión en español del folleto Cómo montar en el autobús aquí.